Knee replacement surgery, involves replacing the bearing surfaces of the knee joint to relieve the pain and disability of osteoarthritis.
It can be performed for other knee diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.
The procedure has been proven to help patients to be able to resume activities without pain or discomfort, such as walking and climbing stairs.
Thanks to the knee prosthesis the patient can even resume some moderate sports activities such as cycling and swimming.
The knee prosthesis has become a frequent surgery, it is performed on more than 600,000 people worldwide each year.
Prices : 6 800 £
This package includes: the Surgery, anesthesia, use of the operating room, stay at the clinic, drugs, surgeon and anesthesiologist fees, Prosthesis, convalescence at the hotel and transfers (Airport / Clinic / Hotel).
Anesthesia : General
Length of stay : 11 days (10 nights): 6 nights at the clinic / 4 nights at the hotel
Time of absence before returning to work :You can return to work after one month. Do not exert yourself and keep moderate physical activity for 15 days.
Before the knee prosthesis surgery:
When considering the option of knee replacement surgery, doctors take into account a number of symptoms:
- Severe knee pain or stiffness: Do the symptoms seriously affect the patient’s ability to perform daily tasks and activities, such as walking, getting on and off the car, getting up from a chair, etc.?
- Moderate but continuous knee pain: is pain present during sleep or rest?
- Chronic inflammation of the knee and swelling: does the swelling disappear after taking medication or resting? Do drugs cause unpleasant side effects?
- Knee Deformity: Is there an arch visible on the inside or outside of the knee?
- Nothing else worked: the doctor prescribed medication and physiotherapy without substantial improvement.
How is the surgery?
There are two main types of surgery depending on the condition of the knee:
- Total knee replacement (TKA): Both sides of the knee joint are replaced.
- Partial Knee Replacement (PKR): Only one side of the joint is replaced in a smaller operation with a shorter hospital stay and shorter recovery period
Knee surgery is recommended for the elderly, although adults or adolescents of any age may be candidates for the procedure. The weight, sex or age of the person is never a factor when considering knee replacement surgery.